Skip to main content

40 in the Fort - Postponed

June 25, 2012 by bikekor

After much discussion, Overland Mountain Bike Club will postpone the 2nd annual 40 in the Fort mountain bike endurance race due to the High Park fire.

This has not been an easy decision to make, but at this time, we feel it is in the best interest of our volunteers, our racers and the community at-large to move the race to our back-up date of September 15.

We would like to thank our sponsors, Poudre Valley Hospital, Green Team Real Estate, ProVelo Bikes, Niner Bikes, Lee's Cyclery and Full Cycle for supporting this decision.

 We would also like to thank Lory State Park and Larimer County for their efforts and guidance. We know these past few weeks have put an extra strain on them.

Why did we make this decision?

  • Both Horsetooth Mountain and Lory State Park remain closed. Access to these parks may or may not be available depending on the behavior of the fire.
  • The fire will still be burning on July 7 without Mother Nature stepping in. Even if the fire continues to burn farther west, a shift in winds could create an unhealthy environment for everyone involved on race day.
  • We are two weeks out from the event. Everyone involved needs to have time to update/change plans as needed.

Moving forward:
Racers have a couple of options. If the new date works for you, do nothing. We will have you registered and ready to go on race day. Packet pick-up will be the evening before on September 14. Look for further emails as we get closer to the event.

If the new date does not work for you:

  • Request a refund. Due to accounting issues, we will not be able to hold onto your registration for next year's race.
  • Request that your race entry be donated to High Park fire efforts. Doing so will allow you to register ahead of time for next year's 40 in the Fort guaranteeing you a spot on race day.

To indicate your inability to race on September 15, please email the following information no later than July 2, 2012.

  • In the subject line: Unable to race on Sept. 15
  • Your full name
  • Your address
  • Your email
  • Your preference regarding a refund or a donation
  • A reason for not attending (optional)

If race spots open up, we will re-open registration by July 9.

Thank you to everyone for your understanding during a tough time for our community. If you have questions or concerns, please contact us.

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes